In the past two weeks, I've been asked numerous times by clients, contacts, and friends, how to get a good headshot of themselves without spending too much (you could read that 'any') money.
Here are my top 5 tips:
1) Enlist the help of someone else as selfie's are not okay, and use the portrait feature on your phone’s camera if it has one, it helps.
2) If at all possible, use natural light and don’t stand directly in front of any object or it can look more like a mug shot.
For instance, if standing in front of a bookcase, stand far enough away that there aren’t shadows or that the title of the books distract from YOU.
3) Dress so that you’re audience gets a sense of who you are in a professional setting. In other words, how would they expect to see you dressed at work?
4) The photo should be framed (that is, what's inside the frame of the shot) should be shoulders up to the top of your head (not half a head).
5) Smile whilst thinking of the person you love most in the world so that the smile touches your eyes.
If you've got others, please re-share and include them!